Read about latest news for Balltec
Balltec With Critical Role In Statoil Pipeline Project
Flangeless subsea plug launcher technology played a critical role in Statoil’s ambitious infrastructure upgrade methodology for the Åsgard Millom pipeline.
Balltec Engineered Solutions has successfully completed work using its subsea smart plug launcher. The flangeless subsea plug launcher technology played a critical role in Statoil’s ambitious infrastructure upgrade methodology for the Åsgard Millom pipeline.
Balltec established a close working relationship with Statoil whilst working on a new lifting system for the Åsgard subsea gas compression project. It was during this time that Statoil asked Balltec to investigate the possibility of designing and manufacturing a subsea plug launcher to their unique specifications.
The plug launcher was built on technology used in Balltec’s recently developed flangeless subsea PIG launcher, a subsea tool used to deploy a PIG into a pipeline without the need for a bolted flange connection or diver intervention. The existing technology was significantly re-designed to accommodate a larger smart plug of 4.5 m in length with a mass of 1500 kg. The plug launcher gripping mechanism was built to withstand pressure of up to 120 bar from within the pipeline.
Jon Jackson, Balltec Engineering Manager said, “This is a unique piece of subsea equipment. The subsea plug launcher is flangeless and allows the insertion of plugs without any existing infrastructure by gripping and sealing the end of a cut pipe. The plug can be launched via a simple hydraulic system and operated with minimum ROV intervention. This allowed our client to have no production loss during tie-in.”
The whole project was delivered to Technip, the installation contractor, within an onerous time frame which included all FAT procedures and Statoil technical approval. The plug launcher was successfully deployed and used in the Åsgard field in August 2015.
Gunnar Paulson, Senior Technical Advisor at Statoil said, “The Balltec Plug Launcher was used for launching a Smart Plug into a producing 20” pipeline at the Åsgard field in Norway. The objective was to isolate the gas producing part of the pipeline from the water filled section at the end, facilitating installation of a pipeline end module while the main part of the pipeline was in normal production. The technology went through an extensive development and testing process before the launcher was qualified by Statoil for operation on a live pipeline. Several parties contributed to a safe and successful launching operation this summer. Statoil would like to thank Balltec for their efficient design, fabrication and testing of the Plug Launcher.”
The subsea plug and PIG launcher are part of the pipeline engineering solutions offered by Balltec, which includes the original PipeLOK™ pipeline deployment & recovery tools. Both solutions are suitable for deployment across a wide variety of pipeline operations.
For enquiries or further information on any of Balltec’s products or services please click the button below:
- Balltec provide Oil Export Flexible Riser Plugs for decommissioning project
- Balltec awarded contract by Enbridge for subsea pipeline recovery tools and PIG launchers
- Balltec secures North Sea decommissioning contract from Heerema Marine Contractors Nederland
- Balltec completes offshore pipeline recovery work in the North Sea
- Balltec completes offshore installation of its adjustable mooring connectors for Streamlined’s FloatMast Blue project
- Installation of Balltec’s MoorLOK subsea mooring connectors at Lancaster field
- Balltec selected by Saipem for supply of Sheave Connection Points for Dolphin Energy EPRS system
- Balltec secures contract award from Intermoor for its MoorLOK subsea mooring connectors
- Balltec completes successful disconnection of its MoorLOK subsea mooring connectors on Shell Malikai oil field
- Balltec completes lifting beam load testing on behalf of Aquila Nuclear Engineering
- Balltec subsea mooring connector and tensioning system contract for a floating weather monitoring system
- Balltec secures mooring connector contract from SOFEC, Inc.
- Balltec completes delivery of mooring equipment for Bluewater Energy BV
- Balltec delivers Lifting System for Allseas
- Alliance Agreement with Canadian, East Coast based Frontier Subsea Inc.
- Lifting Solution for Åsgard Gas Compression Facility
- Balltec With Critical Role In Statoil Pipeline Project
- Balltec Lifting Solution for OpenHydro Tidal Turbine
- A positive and successful OE 2015
- Pioneering Solutions for oil, gas and renewable energy projects worldwide
- OE (Offshore Europe) 2015
- Oil & Gas UK Roadshow
- OTC 2015 Houston
- Solutions Branding
- Solutions for Guara Lula