Read about latest news for Balltec
Balltec Lifting Solution for OpenHydro Tidal Turbine
Balltec Engineered Solutions has designed and manufactured LiftLOK™ connectors as a primary component of the deployment and recovery system for the subsea turbines produced by Openhydro (a DCNS company). The handling system will be used for deployment of the latest generation of the Open Centre Technology being produced by OpenHydro across projects in Europe and Atlantic Canada.
The methodology for installing and recovering the subsea turbine uses a catamaran barge to connect a frame to the vertices of a triangular subsea base using three Balltec LiftLOK™ connectors. The LiftfLOK™ connectors are fixed to a sheave block which in turn are housed in the recovery frame that spaces the tools apart and guides each unit into the correct position to engage with three receptacles on the subsea base. The turbine is mounted on the subsea base and the whole system is manoeuvred into place by a tug for deployment.
Jon Jackson, Balltec Engineering Manager said, “The project required full DNV certification to 2.22 Lifting Appliances. Due to the extreme environmental conditions of this project, i.e. shallow water and a short installation window, Balltec developed a fully automated system utilising integrated hydraulics, sensors and live data streaming.”
Mark Cobbe, Project Engineer at Openhydro said, “Balltec lifting tools provide a simple, reliable and durable solution for heavy lifting. Their engineering and support service that comes with the products is among the best available with a drive to meet the customers’ needs… The proof is in the product.”
The Balltec lifting solution is part of the LiftLOK™ family of connectors and has a purely mechanical operational system that does not require any manual or remote ROV intervention during connection. Balltec engineered solutions, expertise and technology is increasingly being applied in the development of renewable energy projects.
For enquiries or further information on any of Balltec’s products or services please click the button below:
- Balltec provide Oil Export Flexible Riser Plugs for decommissioning project
- Balltec awarded contract by Enbridge for subsea pipeline recovery tools and PIG launchers
- Balltec secures North Sea decommissioning contract from Heerema Marine Contractors Nederland
- Balltec completes offshore pipeline recovery work in the North Sea
- Balltec completes offshore installation of its adjustable mooring connectors for Streamlined’s FloatMast Blue project
- Installation of Balltec’s MoorLOK subsea mooring connectors at Lancaster field
- Balltec selected by Saipem for supply of Sheave Connection Points for Dolphin Energy EPRS system
- Balltec secures contract award from Intermoor for its MoorLOK subsea mooring connectors
- Balltec completes successful disconnection of its MoorLOK subsea mooring connectors on Shell Malikai oil field
- Balltec completes lifting beam load testing on behalf of Aquila Nuclear Engineering
- Balltec subsea mooring connector and tensioning system contract for a floating weather monitoring system
- Balltec secures mooring connector contract from SOFEC, Inc.
- Balltec completes delivery of mooring equipment for Bluewater Energy BV
- Balltec delivers Lifting System for Allseas
- Alliance Agreement with Canadian, East Coast based Frontier Subsea Inc.
- Lifting Solution for Åsgard Gas Compression Facility
- Balltec With Critical Role In Statoil Pipeline Project
- Balltec Lifting Solution for OpenHydro Tidal Turbine
- A positive and successful OE 2015
- Pioneering Solutions for oil, gas and renewable energy projects worldwide
- OE (Offshore Europe) 2015
- Oil & Gas UK Roadshow
- OTC 2015 Houston
- Solutions Branding
- Solutions for Guara Lula